Whether you’re packing a lunch for work or grabbing something quick on the go, a tuna sandwich is always a solid choice.
But how long is it good for? Is there a shelf life? And once you’ve opened the can, is it still safe to eat after a few days?
A tuna sandwich can last anywhere from 1-4 days in the fridge, depending on a few factors. Let’s take a closer look at how long tuna sandwiches last, and when you should throw them out.
How Long Does a Tuna Sandwich Last?
A tuna sandwich can last for several hours at room temperature, as long as it is properly stored. If the sandwich is left out in the open air, it will start to spoil after a few hours.
However, if it is wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, it can last for up to eight hours. After that, the bread will start to stale and the tuna will begin to spoil.
A tuna sandwich is a classic lunchtime favorite. But how long does it last in the fridge? The answer depends on a few factors, including how the sandwich is prepared and how it is stored.
A tuna sandwich made with fresh tuna and fresh bread will only last for a few hours before it starts to spoil. However, if the tuna is canned and the bread is toasted, the sandwich will last for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
Storage is also important. A tuna sandwich should be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
With proper storage, a tuna sandwich can be safe to eat for up to three days. After that, it’s best to throw it out.
- Large in Capacity: No more worries about plenty food from limited space to store them. Our apartment size refrigerator possesses a much deeper and enlarged space of 21.26 x 21.26 x 57.09″ with large capacity to keep all your food totally fresh.
- 7 Adjustable Temperature Control: From 21.2°F to -0.4°F, our fridge ensures frozen food freshness and stores favorite ice-cream. Performed from 32°F to 50°F in refrigerator zone, the refrigerator keeps ingredients fresh and locking moisture.
- Removable Glass Shelves: There are removable glass shelves and wire shelf for organizing your supplies well. If you need to arrange taller items, they could be removed or adjusted for maximum storage to fit your needs while leaving room for convenience.
- Whisper-quiet Operation: Our 2 door fridge has engineered a whisper-quiet compressor that is virtually undetectable when it works on and off. Therefore, this fridge with freezer is perfect for dormitory, office, bedroom, lounge, bar, garage, man cave.
- Automatic Light for Accurate Searching: Finding food is easy thanks to automatically illuminates interior lighting, and for more convenient storage options when door is open, especially at low light condition.
A tuna sandwich can last in the freezer for up to two months. This is because tuna is a meat that does not spoil easily. When frozen, the tuna’s natural proteins and fats are preserved, which helps to keep the sandwich fresh for a longer period of time.
In addition, the freezing process helps to kill any harmful bacteria that may be present in the tuna. However, it is important to note that freezing will not make the sandwich last forever.
Over time, the quality of the sandwich will decline and it will eventually become inedible. For this reason, it is best to consume a frozen tuna sandwich within two months of its preparation. After this point, it is best to discard the sandwich and make a new one.
- Mechanical Control with Adjustable Thermostat from -12 to -28 Degrees (Great for Storing Frozen Food, Ice Cream, Ice, etc.)
- Contains 1 Hanging Wire Storage Basket
- Hinge-Style Door Remains Open from 45 to 75 Degree Angles
- External Product Dimensions: 32. 1 X 21. 7 X 33. 5(inch)
- Full 1-Year/ Compressor 2-Year
Can I Eat a Week Old Tuna Sandwich?
If your sandwich has been in the fridge for longer than three days, it’s time to let it go. The same goes for any leftover cooked tuna – after four days in the fridge, it’s no longer safe to eat. If you’re not sure how long your sandwich has been hanging out in the fridge, err on the side of caution and throw it away.
Eating a week-old tuna sandwich may not make you sick right away, but it could cause food poisoning down the road. And trust us, you don’t want to risk it. So when in doubt, throw it out!
How to Tell if Your Tuna Sandwich Has Gone Bad?
While most people might think that the only way to tell if their tuna sandwich has gone bad is by the smell, there are actually several other signs that you can look for.
For starters, if the tuna is discolored or has developed brown or black patches, it’s probably time to throw it out. The same goes for any sort of slimy texture or off-putting smell. If your tuna sandwich just doesn’t look or smell right, it’s better to be safe than sorry and toss it in the trash.
However, if all appears well with your tuna sandwich, then enjoy! Just be sure to eat it within a few days for the best results.
- BUMBLE BEE TUNA SALAD: Now you can enjoy a quick and easy tuna salad made with perfectly seasoned premium Bumble Bee tuna fish and in the convenience of a pouch—with 8 grams of protein and only 60 calories per tuna pouch – Packaging May Vary
- QUALITY IN EVERY TUNA POUCH: Pack of 12, 2.5-ounce pouches of premium Bumble Bee Sandwich in Seconds Tuna Salad will satisfy you and your family whenever you want a tasty and healthy snack or quick meal
- HIGH IN PROTEIN & GLUTEN FREE: Bumble Bee tuna salad is gluten free and high in protein; A ready-to-eat tuna snack for outdoor hiking, biking, camping or wherever you go; Ideal for individuals following a paleo diet
- CONVENIENT & PORTABLE TUNA SALAD: Irresistible tuna salad packets made with premium wild caught tuna for maximum efficiency and minimal mess; Perfect for a work lunch, school lunch, late afternoon snack, or as a team sports or post-workout snack
- READY TO EAT TUNA PACKETS: These tuna pouches enhance your tuna creations; Top a salad or leafy greens, mix into rice or pasta, fill a wrap or sandwich, or enjoy a quick and delicious tuna salad
Related post: How Long is Tuna Salad Good For
A tuna sandwich is a delicious and convenient lunch option. But how long does it last? The answer depends on how the sandwich is made and how it is stored.
A fresh tuna sandwich will only last for a few hours, while a canned tuna sandwich can last up to 24 hours in the fridge. A frozen tuna sandwich will last for up to two months, but the quality will decline over time.
To be on the safe side, it’s best to eat your tuna sandwich within three days of its preparation. After that, it’s best to discard it. And if you’re ever in doubt, throw it out!