Nothing beats the new and fresh taste of Krispy Kreme. Nothing compares to a fresh, warm Krispy Kreme Donut but have you thought of reheating them, resulting in them tasting just as fresh as the day you brought them home?
The multiple ways to reheat your Krispy Kreme include the oven, air fryer, microwave, frying pan, and even the grill! You will surely never eat another cold Krispy Kreme Donut after learning the many ways to reheat your Krispy Kreme donuts.
How Long Do Krispy Kreme Donuts Last?
Krispy Kreme Donuts last, on average, after refrigeration they last about four days. With no refrigeration left on the counter, they last about two days. The good news is they are effortlessly frozen!
Once frozen, you can keep them in your freezer for up to 8 weeks! Whenever you have a craving, it is as simple as taking the donut out and heating it up in one of these six easy steps. Read below to learn the easy ways to heat up your Krispy Kreme Donut.
Freezing donuts can be the most efficient way to keep donuts around without wasting food.
How Do You Reheat Krispy Kreme Donuts?
First and foremost, you need to know the quickest and easiest method of warming up your Krispy Kreme donuts: microwaving. Whether your donut is frozen or refrigerated defines how long you will microwave the donut.
The following steps are simple and straightforward on how to microwave your Krispy Kreme donut:
- First, place the donut(s) on a microwave-safe plate on top of a damp paper towel.
- Next, set the plate in the microwave and cover. Microwave for 15-20 seconds on high.
- Finally, if the donut is still cold, microwave in ten-second intervals until you find the correct temperature of 350°F internally. For two donuts, 25 – 30 seconds and then in ten-second intervals.
Instead of microwaving for 20 seconds, simply put one donut in the microwave for 8 seconds on high for two donuts, 12 seconds, and for four donuts, 20 seconds. If your donut is not frozen, follow the above directions.
The second option is the oven; this one is a bit more time-consuming but will give you that Krispy in the Krispy Kreme! This option is a bit more ideal for a larger quantity of donuts that are being reheated.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F
- Second, Set a layer of parchment paper on a baking sheet; this controls any mess that could happen.
- Place each donut on the cookie sheet; they can be touching if need be.
- Heat in your oven for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious Krispy Kreme donuts!
2. Frying Pan
You probably wouldn’t have guessed ‘Frying Pan’ would be on this list, don’t fret. After reading this section, you’ll realize that reheating your Krispy Kreme donuts in a frying pan is, truthfully, super simple and easy.
These few simple steps are so easy! Note if the donuts have any glaze or icing. Using a frying pan is not the best option, as the icing will melt and stick to the pan, ultimately leading to a huge mess. This option is ideal for reheating plain or filled donuts.
- First, place a greased frying pan on your stove. You can grease it with either oil or butter.
- Next, place the Krispy Kreme in the pan.
- Heat each side of the donut for roughly 2 – 3 minutes.
If your donut is hard, stale or dry, you can try sprinkling a little bit of water on the donut and putting a lid on top of the pan. Essentially, you are steaming the donuts rather than frying them, which will bring the moist, softness of the stale donut back.
3. Air Fryer
Since Air Fryers have come out, they have become more and more popular as time goes on as they are very convenient. Of course, you can reheat your donut in the Air Fryer; that can do so many things!
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 350°F
- Brush or spray the donuts with oil.
- Wrap your donuts in perforated parchment paper.
- Fry the donuts for approximately 4 – 5 minutes. Check them regularly, as you don’t want overheated Krispy Kreme donuts!
While heating your Krispy Kreme donuts up on a grill is not the most ideal reheating method, it is not impossible! The grill may be a last resort option; no worries, you can do it.
- Preheat your grill to 350°F
- Wrap your donuts in a damp paper towel.
- Wrap in tin foil and place on the grill
- Heat for 3 – 4 minutes, ensuring you do not overheat the donut.
5. Toaster Oven
A toaster oven is very similar to a full-size range but ultimately much more convenient. It takes roughly the same amount of time once everything is said and done as the full-size oven does.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 350°F
- Next, wrap your Krispy Kreme donut(s) in foil and place them on a baking sheet.
- Reheat for no more than 5 minutes, checking them occasionally.
What’s the Best Way to Heat Up Krispy Kreme Donuts?
There are multiple viable options above to reheat your Krispy Kreme donuts. Still, ultimately there is one best option, but that can be based on personal opinion.
By weighing out the good and bad of every method, the microwave takes the cake for time and quality. Not only is it the fastest method, but most would also say that it tastes the most similar to a warm Krispy Kreme donut fresh from the factory.
Still, your best option to reheat your Krispy Kreme donuts would be the microwave. It is time and taste-effective.
How Do You Know If Your Krispy Kreme Donuts are Bad?
There are a few surefire ways to determine whether your Krispy Kreme donuts have gone bad or not. As stated earlier, donuts last anywhere from two days to eight weeks, depending on how you store them.
Here is a list of the specific ways to tell if your donuts have gone bad:
- They are hard to the touch and stale.
- Being hard and stale is a common sign that your donuts are no longer fresh; this usually starts at about two-three days. At the same time, you can still most likely eat them but use precaution.
- Discoloration can be from multiple different issues. Yet if the donut does not look the same as when you purchased it, it is best to be safe rather than sorry and throw the donuts out.
- Mushy or soggy
- A mushy or soggy donut is sure to be not good, tastefully and physically. Don’t take the chance if your Krispy Kreme donut is wet or mushy. Be safe rather than sorry and throw it out.
- Mold or mildew
- For Krispy Kreme donuts, mold or mildew usually starts about three-four days after purchasing. You can prevent mold and mildew by adequately storing.
- Odor or off-taste
- If the Krispy Kreme donuts do not smell or taste the same, this usually means the donut has gone bad. Unfortunately, you typically don’t realize until it is too late; the donut is already in your mouth and actively being chewed. The recommendation would be to spit it out and throw the donut away; it is not worth the risk!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are donuts better hot or cold?
The debate of donuts being better hot or cold is about the same as the debate of leftover pizza being heated up or not; it is genuinely all personal opinion.
Statistics state that most prefer a hot donut over one left on the counter at room temperature. That said, after refrigerating, donuts are usually not as good; the sugar in the icing hardens in the fridge.
Do donuts go bad in the fridge?
Donuts do not go bad in the fridge; however, they are not as fresh and yummy tasting after being in the refrigerator, depending on the type of donut. Once in the fridge, the sugary icing will harden and become not as tasty.
On the other hand, donuts with filling in them are actually stated to be better in the fridge as some have dairy and other products that should be refrigerated.
How long do Krispy Kreme Donuts stay fresh in the box?
Keeping Krispy Kreme donuts in the box on the counter is not your best option unless you plan to consume all the donuts in the package within the next two days. After two days of sitting in the box, on the counter, the Krispy Kreme donuts will become hard and stale, not appealing.
To sum up how to reheat your Kripsy Kreme donuts, there are many different options to reheat your Krispy Kreme donuts. Now that you know the best way to reheat your Krispy Kreme donuts, it is time to stock up! Head to the nearest grocery store, pick up about five boxes, and store them in the freezer so you can have Krispy Kreme donuts available at any time!
Tiffany McCauley is a celebrated food and travel journalist and cookbook author known for her engaging stories on culinary adventures and cultural insights. With a background featuring collaborations with notable brands and publications, Tiffany brings a wealth of experience and a fresh perspective to Fanatically Food, where she champions taste, sustainability, and the art of cooking. Read More Here