It’s a common struggle to end up with a large pack of hamburger buns when you only needed a couple. Luckily, buns freeze very well for up to three months. They can be thawed out easily the next time you need a quick dinner.
There are several options for thawing frozen hamburger buns. You can leave them out at room temperature, microwave them, toast them, or place them into the oven. You can even toss them directly onto the grill.
All of these methods will provide you with a soft bun that’s ready to be enjoyed with your next hamburger. Whether you have an hour or even just 10 seconds, there will be an option for you below.
Method #1: Leaving the Frozen Buns at Room Temperature
This is going to be your best option for thawing your frozen hamburger buns. However, it is also the one that takes the longest.
You may need up to an hour or two to allow your buns to defrost. This is dependent on how many buns you’re thawing out.
- Remove your buns from the freezer and place them onto a paper towel.
- Check back in 15-20 minutes if thawing a single bun. If thawing a bag of buns, then it should take at least an hour.
This method will bring the buns slowly up to room temp, allowing the bread to not dry out. The paper towel ensures that any extra moisture is drawn out of the hamburger bun.
- KETO DIET FRIENDLY: You mean I can have a bun with my burger? With Smartbun you can. For the Keto-Dieter or anyone watching carbs, this great-tasting hamburger bun is gluten free, sugar free and with zero net carbs. How’s that for satisfying?
- REDUCED CALORIE: Not only low-carb, Smartbuns are a reduced calorie alternative to the burger bun. Ditch the lettuce wrap and bite into something truly satisfying. Only 63 calories per bun.
- BEYOND LOW-CARB BREAD: Not just a low carb food, but zero carb. Rich protein bread high in fiber and nutrients, Smartbun is the bun alternative you’ve been waiting for. Fresh bread for making low-carb snacks and foods.
- FOR A VARIETY OF NO CARB TREATS: Bread is definitely a treat. If you are eating Keto, you know this to be true. Our low carb bread keto buns perfectly complete the burger, breakfast sandwich and a variety of keto treats.
- SUGAR FREE: If your diabetic or keto, you understand that sugar is EVERYWHERE! With Smartbuns and other Smart Baking Co. products, there’s nothing to fear. Low carb snacks and foods to fuel your day. .
Method #2: Microwaving the Frozen Buns
If you’re in a rush, this method will be your quickest option. If your microwave has the option, go ahead and set it to the lowest power setting.
- Remove your buns from the freezer and place them on a microwave-safe plate.
- Nuke the buns in intervals of 5 seconds, making sure to flip the bun in between.
By flipping the bun, you’re ensuring that one side doesn’t become soggy. This entire process should take no longer than 15-20 seconds per bun. Mere seconds can be the difference between a perfectly thawed bun and one that’s hard and chewy.
The downside to this method is that microwaving can’t toast your buns as well as some of the other options. If you want toasted buns, using the oven or toaster may be a better alternative.
Method #3: Warming the Frozen Buns in the Oven
Defrosting your frozen hamburger buns in the oven can be a great option. It may take up to 20 minutes, depending on how many buns you want to thaw.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and remove your buns from the freezer.
- Place your desired number of buns onto a baking sheet and place them into the oven.
- Check the buns frequently, to ensure that they don’t burn.
- Remove the buns from the oven once they are no longer cold in the center.
This method can be really convenient if you’re cooking burgers on the stove. While you’re cooking, the buns can be warming in the oven.
If you prefer your hamburger buns toasted, just leave them for an extra few minutes.
Method #4: Toasting the Frozen Buns
Some toasters have a defrost setting, and this would be the perfect time to use it. No worries if not, as this method will work either way.
- Place each half of the bun into the toaster.
- Check frequently to ensure your bun doesn’t end up burnt.
You have to be careful with this option so that your buns don’t end up completely dried out. Make sure you don’t walk away from the toaster while it’s on.
Method #5: Tossing the Frozen Buns Directly Onto the Grill
If you’re grilling your burgers, then this method is likely to be the most convenient for you.
- Remove however many buns you want to use from your freezer.
- Throw them onto the grill for a few moments until they’re completely thawed out and ready to eat.
Once your burgers are nearly done, just add the buns to the grill and you’ll have dinner perfectly timed! Nothing beats a warm, fresh hamburger bun with your juicy burger.
How Long Do Frozen Hamburger Buns Last After Thawing?
Once you have your thawed hamburger buns, it is best to consume them within a couple of hours. They won’t stay fresh much longer than that.
Due to this, it is recommended that you only defrost the number of buns you intend to eat right away. It is a good tip to freeze your buns individually so that you can easily defrost only what you’ll be using immediately.
If left out longer than a couple of hours, the buns can become dry and stale. These won’t be very good for enjoying with your burger.
- 4.2 oz (Pack of 16)
- Gluten Free
- Classic hamburger buns
- 4.5 inch diameter and a 1.5-2 inch height
- Made with corn starch, rice flour, and tapioca starch
Storing frozen hamburger buns in your freezer can be a great option for a quick dinner or lunch. Defrosting them only takes a short period of time, and they’ll be good as new.