Robust inspired tomato sauce is, simply, a super flavorful and bold red tomato sauce. It also happens to be the main sauce used by Domino’s and is a fan favorite. What makes this zesty sauce so good?
Robust inspired tomato sauce is a simple yet bold combination of herbs, spices, lots of garlic, and tomato puree. It is a velvety thick sauce that has a bit of a zip to it! It’s for good reason Dominos puts this robust tomato sauce on all their pizza pies.
Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce Overview
There are so many different recipes for tomato sauces, marinaras, even tomato gravy as some call it. They all have their own uniqueness.
When you think of the word ‘robust’, you may think large, bold, and flavorful. That perfectly describes the spices used in a robust inspired tomato sauce.
A robust inspired tomato sauce uses a citric acid, or vinegar to enhance all the spices and herbs which gives it the pop of flavor to make it robust.
What are the Uses for Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce?
So what can you do with robust inspired tomato sauce? The possibilities are almost endless. Using this zesty and flavorful sauce as a spaghetti sauce, lasagna sauce, and of course pizza sauce are all great ideas.
You can also serve a warm bowl of this as a dip for breadsticks or even on an appetizer spread to dip vegetables, crostini, and more in. Using the robust inspired tomato sauce to serve as a base to your favorite tomato soup is a fast shortcut for a delicious weeknight meal.
The sauce would also be good poured over a grilled chicken breast or steak. Truly, the possibilities for using this sauce are endless.
What is the Difference Between Dominos Robust Tomato and Hearty Marinara?
While there may be several different tomato sauces out there, some of them seem quite similar on the surface. But are they really that comparable? Let’s dissect two very popular Dominos tomato sauces: Robust Tomato vs. Hearty Marinara.
Traditionally, marinara sauces are tomato focused and even slightly sweet. A hearty marinara sauce uses crushed plum tomatoes – ideally these sweet and narrow tomatoes are used at the peak of their season, providing a naturally sweet and low acidic tomato product.
To the tomatoes, other vegetables (onions, carrots, and even mushrooms) are added along with: wine, herbs, and sometimes meat is also added to a hearty marinara. All of these ingredients add to the heartiness of the sauce and help to bring out the tomato flavor.
Tomato sauces traditionally use a tomato puree or tomato paste instead of just crushed tomatoes. This helps in the overall texture and taste of the sauce.
Now, take the robust inspired tomato sauce. A simple ingredient list provides a very complex flavor profile. Tomato puree is the base of the sauce, along with crushed tomatoes, and some simple spices and herbs are added along with a citric acid. The citric acid helps to balance the tomatoes and also enhances all of the flavors.
In summary, Dominos robust tomato sauce has far fewer ingredients than the hearty marinara, is thicker, and much bolder in flavor.
How to Make Homemade Dominos Robust Inspired Tomato Sauce
Making your own Dominos robust inspired tomato sauce is not only a great idea, but is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. Having some stored in your freezer or pantry allows you to use it for a variety of dishes and if you happen to not live close by to a Dominos, you can even make your own pizza at home!
- Tomato puree – find a good quality tomato purée. You can of course process your own tomatoes, but the canned stuff works just fine.
- Crushed tomatoes – canned work perfect here, but you can also peel and crush your own.
- Olive Oil – you won’t need too much, but a good quality olive oil will help in the overall flavor of the sauce.
- Herbs – dried basil, oregano, and marjoram are best in this sauce.
- Garlic – the garlic in this tomato sauce is abundant so don’t be shy with it!
- Salt, Pepper, and a little cayenne – the cayenne pepper allows for a bolder flavor, just be careful not to add too much.
- Sugar – the sugar helps to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Vinegar – using a splash of white vinegar is all you need to help give the sauce a nice robust flavor and also helps to preserve the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot (but not scorching), add your chopped garlic and stir for one minute. Be sure to stir so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Next, add your tomatoes, tomato purée, and all the other ingredients.
- When the tomato sauce starts to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or up to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Check the seasoning and more of anything as needed.
- If you don’t have any tomato purée on hand, simply add water to your favorite tomato paste!
- Using a microplane to grate your garlic is a fast way to chop several cloves.
- Make enough sauce to jar or freeze for later.
- While a white vinegar will produce a sauce more similar to Dominos, try using a red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar for a deeper flavor.
- Fresh basil can be a great addition and can easily be stirred into the sauce at the end.
- Simmering the sauce uncovered allows for it to thicken better which is what you are going for in this Dominos inspired robust tomato sauce.
Dominos seem to be everywhere and for good reason. Their robust tomato sauce is the perfect balance of bold flavors and makes for a delicious pizza sauce. Let’s explore some more about this robust sauce.
Is Dominos robust tomato sauce vegetarian?
Dominos robust tomato sauce is in fact vegetarian. While other tomato sauces may use butter, cheese, and even meat in their recipes, the robust tomato sauce from Dominos does not. The ingredient list is small: tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, sugar, herbs, spices, and citric acid.
What does robust inspired tomato sauce mean?
A robust inspired tomato sauce is simply a tomato sauce that has a little more flavor in it. The flavors of garlic, herbs, and even cayenne are enhanced by citric acid making for a thick and delicious robust tomato sauce.
Which pizza sauce is the best dominos?
Pizza sauce comes down to personal preference, but at Dominos, they traditionally use their robust inspired tomato sauce as the base to all of their pizzas, making it a fan favorite.
While there are so many types of pizza sauce and tomato sauce, some just work so much better than the others. You want a pizza sauce that isn’t too watery and that can stand up to the pizza dough. You also don’t want a sauce that competes with other flavors of your pie. Dominos robust inspired tomato sauce is a perfect blend of everything you want in pizza sauce.