As a food lover, it’s always exciting to discover new and interesting foods to try. One way to do that is by exploring different foods that begin with a certain letter.
In this article, I’ll be highlighting 40 foods that begin with the letter S, from savoury to sweet, and everything in between.
Starting with savoury foods that begin with S, we have classics like spaghetti and salmon, as well as lesser-known options like samosas and shakshuka.
Moving on to sweet foods, we have favourites like strawberries and sorbet, as well as more unique options like soursop and sugar pie.
And let’s not forget about bakery foods, international options, salads and soups, and sandwiches and snacks that all start with S.
In this article, you’ll find a diverse range of foods to explore, whether you’re looking to broaden your culinary horizons or simply want to try something new.
So let’s dive in and discover some delicious foods that begin with the letter S!
- This article highlights 40 different foods that begin with the letter S, including savoury, sweet, bakery, international, salad and soup, and sandwich and snack options.
- Readers can discover both classic favourites and unique, lesser-known options to try.
- Whether you’re a food lover looking to explore new options or simply looking for some inspiration, this article has something for everyone.
Savoury Foods That Begin with S
As a food enthusiast, I have compiled a list of savoury foods that begin with the letter S. From seafood to meats, vegetables to condiments and spices, this list has got you covered.
Seafood is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Some of the popular seafood options that start with the letter S include:
- Salmon: A delicious and healthy fish that can be grilled, baked, or smoked.
- Shrimp: A versatile seafood that can be boiled, grilled, or sautéed.
- Sardines: A small oily fish that is often canned and packed in oil or tomato sauce.
- Scallops: A type of shellfish that is often pan-seared or grilled.
- Squid: A popular seafood in Mediterranean and Asian cuisines that can be grilled, fried, or stuffed.
Meat lovers can also enjoy a variety of options that start with the letter S. Some of the popular options include:
- Sausage: A seasoned meat that can be made from pork, beef, or chicken.
- Steak: A beef cut that is often grilled or pan-seared.
- Sausage balls: A popular appetizer made with sausage, cheese, and biscuit mix.
- Sausage pizza: A pizza topped with sausage and other toppings of your choice.
Vegetables are an essential part of a healthy diet. Some of the popular vegetables that start with the letter S include:
- Sauerkraut: A fermented cabbage that is often used as a condiment.
- Spinach: A leafy green that is often sautéed or used in salads.
- Squash: A type of vegetable that comes in different varieties including summer squash and winter squash.
- Sweet potato: A root vegetable that is often baked or roasted.
Condiments and Spices
Condiments and spices can add flavour and depth to any dish. Some of the popular options that start with the letter S include:
- Sage: A herb that is often used in stuffing, poultry, and pork dishes.
- Sesame seeds: A seed that is often used in Asian cuisines and can be used to make sesame oil.
- Soy sauce: A sauce made from fermented soybeans and wheat that is often used in Asian cuisines.
- Sourdough bread: A type of bread that is made using a sourdough starter.
- Sesame oil: An oil made from sesame seeds that is often used in Asian cuisines.
In conclusion, these are just a few of the many savoury foods that begin with the letter S. Whether you are a seafood lover, a meat lover, or a vegetarian, there is something for everyone on this list.
Sweet Foods That Begin with S
When it comes to sweet foods that begin with S, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of my favorites:
Starting with fruits, we have some delicious options like strawberries and star fruit. Strawberries are a classic favorite, and they can be eaten on their own or used to make desserts like strawberry shortcake.
Star fruit, on the other hand, has a unique flavor that is both sweet and tangy. It can be eaten raw or used in salads and smoothies.
If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll love the desserts that begin with S. Some of my favorites include sugar cookies, strudel, and sorbet. Sugar cookies are a classic treat that can be decorated in various ways to fit any occasion.
Strudel is a pastry that is filled with fruit, nuts, or cheese and can be served warm or cold. Sorbet is a frozen dessert that is made from fruit juice, sugar, and water. It’s a refreshing treat that is perfect for hot summer days.
Finally, we have some sweet drinks that begin with S. Sipping on a smoothie or enjoying a sweet syrup can be a great way to satisfy your sweet cravings.
Smoothies can be made with a variety of fruits and can be customized to suit your taste preferences.
Syrup, on the other hand, can be used to sweeten drinks like coffee and tea or used as a topping for pancakes and waffles.
Other sweet foods that begin with S include sultanas, sweet potato, sugar baby watermelon, and sweetbreads.
Whether you’re looking for a healthy snack or a decadent dessert, there’s a sweet food that begins with S to fit your needs.
Bakery Foods That Begin with S
When it comes to bakery foods that begin with the letter S, there are a few classic options that come to mind. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular bakery foods that start with S.
Scones are a classic bakery item that are often enjoyed with tea or coffee. These triangular-shaped pastries are made with flour, butter, sugar, and milk or cream, and are often flavored with fruit or spices.
Scones can be sweet or savory, and are often served with jam and clotted cream for a traditional British afternoon tea.
Soda bread is a type of quick bread that is made with baking soda instead of yeast. This bread is popular in Ireland, where it is often served with butter and jam.
Soda bread is a great option for those who are looking for a bread that is easy to make and doesn’t require any special equipment.
Strudel is a type of pastry that originated in Austria. It is made with thin layers of pastry dough that are filled with fruit, nuts, or cheese.
Strudel can be sweet or savory, and is often served with whipped cream or ice cream.
Overall, these bakery foods that begin with S are classic options that are sure to please.
Whether you are in the mood for a sweet scone, a savory soda bread, or a fruity strudel, there is a bakery food that is perfect for you.
International Foods That Begin with S
When it comes to international cuisine, there are plenty of delicious foods that begin with the letter S. In this section, I will explore some of the most popular and tasty international foods that start with S.
Asian cuisine is known for its bold flavors and unique ingredients, and there are plenty of dishes that start with the letter S.
One popular dish is soba noodles, a type of Japanese noodle made from buckwheat flour. Soba noodles are often served cold with a dipping sauce or in a hot broth.
Another popular Japanese food that starts with S is sake, a traditional Japanese rice wine that is enjoyed both hot and cold.
Moving over to India, we have samosas, a popular street food that is enjoyed all over the country.
Samosas are a type of pastry that is filled with spiced vegetables or meat and then deep-fried until crispy. They are often served with chutney or yogurt dip.
European cuisine is known for its rich flavors and hearty dishes, and there are plenty of foods that begin with S.
One classic German dish that starts with S is schnitzel, a thin slice of meat that is breaded and fried until crispy. Schnitzel is often served with a side of potatoes or a salad.
Moving over to Italy, we have spaghetti and meatballs, a classic Italian-American dish that has become popular all over the world.
Spaghetti and meatballs are often served with a tomato-based sauce and topped with grated cheese.
Finally, we have stromboli, a type of Italian turnover that is filled with cheese, meats, and vegetables. Stromboli is often served as a snack or appetizer and is a popular food in Italian-American communities.
In addition to these dishes, there are plenty of other international foods that start with S, including soba noodle soup, spatchcock, and more.
No matter what your taste preferences are, there is sure to be an international dish that starts with S that you will love.
Salads and Soups That Begin with S
When it comes to salads and soups that begin with S, there are plenty of delicious options to choose from. From classic dishes to more unique creations, there’s something for everyone.
One popular salad that begins with S is spinach salad. This dish typically features fresh spinach leaves, sliced mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs, and crumbled bacon.
It’s often dressed with a warm bacon vinaigrette, which gives the salad a tangy and savory flavor.
Another great salad option is summer squash salad. This dish is perfect for warmer weather and features thinly sliced summer squash, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs.
It’s often dressed with a light vinaigrette, which helps to bring out the natural sweetness of the squash.
When it comes to soups, soba noodle soup is a delicious and satisfying option. This dish typically features buckwheat soba noodles, which are cooked in a flavorful broth with vegetables and protein.
It’s a great way to warm up on a chilly day and is often served with a side of pickled ginger and soy sauce.
For a classic soup option, consider making squash soup. This dish is typically made with butternut squash, which is roasted and blended with vegetable broth and spices.
It’s a creamy and comforting soup that’s perfect for fall and winter.
If you’re looking for a dip that’s both delicious and healthy, consider making spinach dip or spinach artichoke dip.
These dips are typically made with fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, and a blend of cheeses and spices. They’re perfect for parties and gatherings and can be served with crackers or fresh vegetables.
Overall, there are plenty of delicious salads and soups that begin with S to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for something classic or more unique, there’s sure to be a dish that will satisfy your cravings.
Sandwiches and Snacks That Begin with S
When it comes to sandwiches and snacks that begin with S, there are plenty of options to choose from. From savory to sweet, there’s something for everyone. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Submarine Sandwich: This classic sandwich is also known as a sub, hoagie, or hero. It typically consists of a long roll filled with meats, cheese, and vegetables. You can customize your sub with your favorite ingredients, such as turkey, ham, salami, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.
- Saltine Crackers: These thin, crispy crackers are perfect for snacking on their own or pairing with cheese or dip. They’re also a great addition to soups and stews.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip: This creamy dip is made with spinach, artichoke hearts, cream cheese, and sour cream. It’s usually served warm with tortilla chips or pita bread.
- Seven-Layer Dip: This Mexican-inspired dip is made with layers of refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, salsa, and toppings like olives and green onions. It’s perfect for dipping tortilla chips or veggies.
- Sweet Potato Fries: These fries are a healthier alternative to regular fries, and they’re just as delicious. They’re typically seasoned with salt and pepper and served with a dipping sauce like ketchup or aioli.
- Sweet Pickles: These pickles are made with cucumbers that have been soaked in a sweet brine. They’re perfect for snacking on their own or adding to sandwiches and burgers.
- Spaghetti: This classic pasta dish is made with spaghetti noodles and tomato sauce. It’s often served with meatballs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Sausage Pizza: This pizza is topped with sausage, cheese, and tomato sauce. It’s a classic pizza topping that’s always a crowd-pleaser.
- Soda: This carbonated beverage comes in a variety of flavors, including cola, lemon-lime, and orange. It’s a popular drink choice for many people.
- Snickers: This candy bar is made with peanuts, caramel, and nougat, all coated in chocolate. It’s a sweet and satisfying snack that’s perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
In conclusion, there are many delicious and nutritious foods that begin with the letter S. From savory to sweet, there is something for everyone.
Some of my personal favorites include salmon, spinach, strawberries, and sweet potatoes.
One thing to keep in mind is that while some S foods are healthy, others may not be as nutritious. For example, while soda and sugar cookies may be tasty, they are not the best choices for a healthy diet.
It’s important to incorporate a variety of S foods into your diet to ensure you are getting all the necessary nutrients your body needs. Experiment with different recipes and cooking methods to keep things interesting.
Overall, whether you are looking for a quick snack or a full meal, there are plenty of S foods to choose from that will satisfy your cravings and keep you feeling full and energized.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some common foods that start with the letter S?
Some common foods that start with the letter S include spaghetti, steak, salmon, shrimp, sausage, and squash.
What are some unique and lesser-known foods that start with S?
Some unique and lesser-known foods that start with S include salsify, samphire, sorrel, seitan, and shirataki noodles.
What are some popular snacks that start with S?
Some popular snacks that start with S include popcorn, pretzels, potato chips, and snack mix.
What are some healthy foods that start with S?
Some healthy foods that start with S include spinach, strawberries, sweet potatoes, salmon, sardines, and sunflower seeds.
What are some popular spices or seasonings that start with S?
Some popular spices or seasonings that start with S include salt, sage, saffron, and sumac.
What are some common ingredients used in S-themed dishes?
Some common ingredients used in S-themed dishes include seafood, sausage, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sour cream.
Tiffany McCauley is a celebrated food and travel journalist and cookbook author known for her engaging stories on culinary adventures and cultural insights. With a background featuring collaborations with notable brands and publications, Tiffany brings a wealth of experience and a fresh perspective to Fanatically Food, where she champions taste, sustainability, and the art of cooking. Read More Here